The Suzuki Spacia Gear is a hybrid city car that ticks both boxes: pragmatism and style
And with fuel-saving hybrid technology and a turbocharged engine – it's quite surprising to drive too
Suzuki are on fire at the moment.
Their product catalog is currently littered with gems, with the Suzuki Jimny and Suzuki Swift Sport being two such examples.
In Japan, there are plenty more to be discovered – like the endearing Suzuki Spacia Gear. It’s a van-like hatchback that’s surprisingly compact externally; yet incredibly spacious internally.
It’s a masterclass in product packaging, with a spacious and airy first row of seating, a pair of sliding second row seats that are large enough for adults, and even enough room to a fit bicycle with two guests up-front.
The second row features ISOFIX tether points and both forward- and rearward-facing baby seats fit with ease. Under the front passenger seat, you’ll even find a plastic shopping basket!
Another trick is to pull on the silver dashboard trims, as cup holders and storage trays magically appear when you do.
Aside from such pragmatics, there are little luxuries and high levels of safety too: heated front seats, 360-view parking camera, automatic emergency braking (low speed forward and rearward), lane departure warning, rear parking sensors, keyless entry + start + more.
It’s powered by a 660cc turbocharged three-cylinder engine with 48-volt mild hybrid system. The Suzuki Spacia Gear hybrid features a small lithium-ion battery and combined starter motor / alternator / e-motor that sits attached to the engine to assist drive and reduce fuel use.
The result is a seamless way to save fuel whilst unlocking more low-down torque from its turbocharged engine. Combined with its low kerb weight, the Suzuki Spacia Gear has plenty of power for the freeway, and also features a comfort-led suspension tune with good high-speed stability.
It’s cosy, easy to drive and the ideal candidate for a second car in a multi-car household.
The car pictured – 2018 Suzuki Spacia Gear Hybrid ZX Turbo (MK53S)
Our Suzuki Spacia Gear was built in December 2018 and is a ‘ZX Turbo Hybrid’ trim level.
That means it’s powered by a steadfast ‘R06A’ 660cc three-cylinder engine with 47kW/100Nm and a 48-volt mild hybrid system. Power is sent to the front wheels via a CVT automatic.
Standard equipment includes heated front seats, electric sliding doors, heads-up display, 360-degree parking camera, keyless entry and start, automatic emergency braking (low speed – forward), climate control and more.
This one-owner car is also finished in rarer shade of Khaki green metallic. The vehicle comes with two keys, log books, and a Japanese export certificate confirming its mileage.
What made this one special :
- 2019 Suzuki Spacia Gear Hybrid ZX Turbo
- 660cc ‘R06A’ three-cylinder Turbo
- Mild hybrid technology (48-volt alternator / starter / generator / e-motor)
- CVT auto / Front-wheel drive
- Rare Khaki green exterior colour
- One-owner car with service history, two keys and export certificate
- Factory specification includes heated front seats with splash-proof fabric, heads-up display, 360-degree parking camera, automatic emergency braking, rear parking sensors, electric sliding doors and keyless entry + start.
- Factory option equipment includes a internal rear view mirror on the tail gate
- Japanese de-registration paperwork, auction paperwork and service history available
- Price includes SEVS compliance, a NSW roadworthy and months NSW rego.
Drawing inspiration from the great outdoors and adventure, the Suzuki Spacia Gear is surprisingly delightful yet delightfully spacious